Monday, May 7, 2018

Designing for Accessibility: A TEDx Talk by UDL Advocate Elise Roy

TEDx speaker Elise Roy makes the case for designing environments and tools with disabilities in mind from the start. This ensures that such areas and tools are accessible and usable for everyone. Universal Design for Learning (UDL) helps designers think inclusively from the very start.
"I've been a design thinker for nearly all my life. ... My constant need to adapt has made me a great aviator and problem solver. And I've often had to do this within limitations and constraints. ... Design thinkers often seek out extreme situations because that often informs some of their best designs. ... You are a designer. Everyone is. ... Let people like me help you. Let people with disabilities help you look sideways, and in the process solve some of the greatest problems. "

Source

KQED News / WCET-WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies

Additional Reading

Improving Accessibility Often Falls to Faculty. Here's What They Can Do.
“Eskridge and Kwong ... underline the importance of faculty teaming up to create more accessible learning materials.  ... 'I can't stress enough that it’s the importance of community when we are trying to solve a problem.'”

No comments:

Post a Comment